Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Don't Believe Everything You Read on Facebook

Last week, two things happened to me.

I celebrated my birthday.

I am now solidly, right smack in my mid-40s. I can't claim "early-40s" or "just past my 30s" any more. Without a doubt, I am middle-aged. 

I will admit that I've been feeling a bit... well... old

At least I've managed to dodge that whole Midlife Crisis bit. In my 40s, I've found fresh interests and excitement while staying happily married and avoiding any crazy stunts or purchases of convertible automobiles. 

I'm feeling kind of old, but I like the life I've led so far. 


And, oh yeah, something bizarre happened.

My friend tagged me in Facebook, asking "Is that you?" This is what I saw.


What the heck?!

Yes, that was me, but I didn't recognize either the company or the link. Basically, they stole my photo off of a completely unrelated interview I did with Blog Expat a few years ago about living in Malaysia. This was done without my permission or endorsement.

I don't know much Malay, so I had to run the text through Google Translate. It reads
"Discover the secret that is called 'Magical skin tightening in the Bottle.'
You would not believe the change in her. 
Mother shares a simple way to reverse aging."

I strangely felt both flattered and indignant at the same time. How dare they steal my photo! How nice to be an example of someone who looks younger than she should.

(If you want to know my real secret, I took this selfie with the Soft Skin mode on my camera. It specifically makes lines and wrinkles look less conspicuous. If anything, this is actually a testimony for the Sony Cybershot.)

Don't believe everything you read on Facebook.

My birthday week wasn't turning out so bad. Although, I wish some of that Miracle Skin Cream would actually show up at my door.


Before I could get too conceited

The same ad appeared on Facebook the next day with the same text and someone else's photo. It got 5 times more Likes than mine. Oh well.



15 comments:

  1. Lol - wow, that's crazy! Were you able to reach out to the people/company that misappropriated your photo?! It is a nice, pic by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly, both the company listed and the URL were dead ends.

      Delete
  2. Arghhh, that's awful! Did you report that photo on FB?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! You certainly do look younger than your 45 years but what a shocker that this dodgy company stole your image. Pretty amazing that your friend saw it. It makes you wonder how many other images get used without permission that we never know about. Plenty for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK I laughed my butt off when I saw the ad with the other person's picture! It's really creepy that they stole your picture, though. I will say that you definitely look younger than you claim - not sure I can believe your real age! But keeping living "young" and you'll stay young!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to have a giggle too! At least if someone was going to steal your photo, it was for something complimentary (not that I wouldnt be outraged too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOLOLOL!!!! I am STILL laughing out loud with tears literally streaming down my face, holding my stomach because I've laughed for two solid, hard minutes over that follow up picture, Michele!! And you don't look a day over 29, our friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are scaring me. What do you do when something like this happens? Do you close your Facebook account?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, at 61 I've been calling myself middle aged (I know self-delusion) but I would pay someone to use my photo for 'good skin' claims!! (Seriously, I hope FB kicks the company off the program).

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful photo of you and I need to learn the selfie Sony cybershot trick. I asked my daughter to do this for my photo and she gave me the "look" and said "mom, you would be a blur." sigh. I've heard of people stealing pics to scam money, be glad they weren't asking for money to make you look like a 20 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i dont believe facebook
    but i believe god

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday!!!! And what a crazy story...hahah but very flattering once the translation was done! See?! You don't look a day over 25!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's why I don't really update my Facebook anymore. :(
    It has become a jungle of this and that, plus the privacy issue isn't a big deal anymore.
    I hope this issue will be resolve soon.

    ps: you don't look 40 at all. ^0^

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Comment moderation is on, so your comment may not appear immediately.

Web Analytics